Cheesy tomato couscous bites with delicious tomato dip - great for lunch with some additional picky plate items or as an appetizer.
These are my go to in the summer for a portable snack, great for adding to picnics as they can be served hot or cold.
But I also love making these in the winter as part of a snack plate or as a side to some soup.
Couscous is a great ingredient to have on hand as it is super quick to cook and delicious just cooked with stock as a simple side.
But when you add some cheese and form into patties and bake they become these delicious cheese morsels that are great for dipping.
If you want a creamy based dip, try these with this Light Yoghurt Ranch Dressing instead of the tomato dip.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a comment, Rate It and
Tag us in your Photos
@SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 1 cup (175g) of couscous
- 1 cup (240ml) of hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 60g (2oz) cheddar, grated
- 30g (1oz) of parmesan, grated
- low calorie spray
For the sauce
- 4 large vine tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs of mixed herbs
- 1 splash of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- spray oil
- salt and black pepper
- Add the couscous to a saucepan, cover with the 1 cup of hot chicken or vegetable stock, stir, add lid and leave for 5 mins. Couscous should not be wet.
- Preheat oven to 180c fan, 200c, 400f (gas mark 6)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil
- Add the onion and garlic and fry till softened
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until they start to break down into a sauce.
- Add the mixed herbs, tomato paste, splash of balsamic and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add lid and simmer for 20 mins, until sauce reduces down and thicken
- Fluff up the couscous with fork, add half of the tomato sauce and mix. Stir in the the cheddar and Parmesan.
- With hands work all the mixture together and form into 15 mini bites. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment and spray over the top with spray oil, bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until lightly golden.
- While the bites are cooking in the oven, add the remainder of the sauce to a blender and blend till smooth. (or you can leave it chunky for a more rustic sauce)
- Serve the bites with the sauce on the side. The sauce is delicious hot or cold with these bites.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 320Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 55mgSodium 737mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 5gSugar 11gProtein 20g
Nutritional information and values etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.