Easy Roasted Vegetable Soup – a delicious soup with amazing flavours from the natural sweetness of roasted peppers, tomatoes, and butternut squash.
Homegrown Vegetable Soup
This year I attempted to grow my own veggies in our garden. We had great success with peppers, different varieties of tomatoes and herbs, but not so great success with greens. We just couldn’t keep the caterpillars and insects under control.
That said it was a great learning curve and confirmed what vegetables I definitely want to grow again next year and which were not really worth our while.
Luckily I live in an area in Ontario, where flat farmland is common, so we get plenty of vegetable stands out in the county where I can purchase in-season vegetables for much cheaper than at the grocery store.
Roasted Tomato, Bell Pepper and Butternut Squash Soup
The soup was to use up the last of my veggies before the frost set in and was so tasty, simple and delicious.
I had various bell peppers (green and red), different varieties of tomatoes (roma, beefsteak, candyland, I even used up some unripe green tomatoes, nothing was going to waste) and then for a bit more flavour I add in some fresh herbs, garlic, onion and a some butternut squash I had left.
It’s actually a soup that you can easily vary up by what vegetables you have on a hand and a great way to use up veggies lurking in the veggie drawer/pantry before a grocery shop to make room for the fresh vegetables.
How to make Easy Roasted Vegetable Soup
It really was just as simple as throwing all the veggies with the herbs on a baking tray and drizzling with some olive oil and seasoning.
Then once roasted, I added to a big saucepan on the stove add some stock and roughly blended with my immersion stick blender.
No fancy expensive gadgets needed here. I like my soup quite rustic and with chunks of vegetables, so I really did just roughly blend, but if you prefer a smooth soup, then, by all means, blend to your desired consistency.
How to Serve Roasted Vegetable Soup
This soup is amazing just as it is, as for a more filling bowl of food. I like to top with some protein of choice, like some of the following:
- Cooked shredded chicken
- Cooked Sausage
- Cooked chicken or beef mince (ground meat)
- Grated or shavings of cheese (from my Healthy Extra A choice)
- Poached Egg
- Cooked fish (like white fish or salmon etc)
and then some other great options to add in are:
- Cooked pasta or rice
- Sauteed greens like kale or spinach
- and if you have a healthy extra B spare you could enjoy some bread too.
It even works great as a sauce for meats, fish or pasta. Now there is an idea!!!
This is how I served my bowl, with some cooked sausage, shavings of parmesan and fresh parsley – yum!!!
More Soup Recipes
Love soup? Then check out some of my other recipes:
- THAI COCONUT SHRIMP NOODLE SOUP (INSTANT POT AND STOVE TOP)
- GINGER CARROT CAULIFLOWER SOUP (STOVETOP OR INSTANT POT)
- TACO LENTIL SOUP (INSTANT POT OR STOVE TOP)
- CHICKEN AND LENTIL SOUP
- LEFTOVER CHICKEN BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND BEAN SOUP
- GROUND TURKEY VEGETABLE BEAN SOUP
- CHICKPEA AND TOMATO SOUP
- CHICKEN VEGETABLE PASTA SOUP
- LEMONY CHICKEN ZUCCHINI RICE SOUP
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 500g (17.5) of fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped (use a selection of different varieties for better flavour)
- 400g (14oz) of butternut squash, diced
- few springs of fresh thyme
- few springs of fresh rosemary
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 cups (480ml) of vegetable or chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 200c/180c FAN/400f or gas mark 6
- Add all the veg to a large baking tray
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and black pepper
- Scatter with the fresh herbs, and drizzle with the olive oil
- Roast in the oven for approximately 45 minutes, vegetables should be all lovely and softened.
- Add vegetables to a large pot, then add in the stock (you may need to add slightly more depending on how you like the consistency of your soup).
- Roughly blend with a stick blend to desired consistency. I like to keep some chunks of vegetables in my soup.
- Then simmer for a few minutes until heated through, taste and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!!!
- Great as it is or with your choice of toppings.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegan, Slimming World, Paleo (Whole30) and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 2 syns per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 2 per serving
- Vegan - use vegetable stock
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
*SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Russell Hobbs Food Collection Hand Blender 22241, 200 W - White
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 0.7gSodium: 590mgCarbohydrates: 18.5gFiber: 4.7gSugar: 4.3gProtein: 2.7g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.