Delicious caramelized onion and ripe tomatoes with a melted cheese filling in this lighter flaky mozzarella filo tart
Yummy Filo Pastry Tart
Anything pastry wise on Slimming World can be pretty high synned, but this Caramelized Onion Tart uses Filo pastry, the lowest in syn of pastry and it is really delicious.
Sweet caramelized onions, ripe tomatoes, seasoning and melted mozzarella cheese what more can one ask for? It's a perfect for a light lunch or picnic just as it is or with a mixed salad.
The sheets of filo that I have used I have synned accordingly, but different ones can vary depending on brand and size, so also be double sure by checking the syn value of the one you are using.
You can easily vary this up with different fillings, using different vegetables and cheeses.
Need some more lunch on the go and recipes perfect for a picnic? Check out these:
- GLUTEN FREE OVEN BAKED SCOTCH EGGS
- CHEDDAR BUTTER BEAN BITES
- PEPPERONI PIZZA EGG BITES
- INSTANT POT SOUS VIDE EGG BITES
- CRANBERRY ALMOND CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- YUMMY PAPRIKA BALSAMIC CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
- 2 sheets of filo pastry (8 syns)
- 1 small red onion sliced
- ½ cup (120ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- some cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 90g (3oz) of mozzarella, grated (2 HEa’s)
- salt and pepper to season
- balsamic vinegar
- spray oil
- Preheat oven to 200c/fan 180c/400f or gas mark 6.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray
- Spray two small round tart dishes with some cooking oil spray.
- Fold each sheet of pastry, into a square which is slightly bigger than your tart dish.
- Push into the tart dish and then fold down all the edges. Place in the oven and bake just until it starts to go golden and remove from oven.
- Place in the oven and bake just until it starts to go golden.
- While pastry cases are browning.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some cooking oil spray, add the onion and cook the onions until caramelized, adding a little of the stock at a time to prevent sticking. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar and reduce down around the onions.
- Add the caramelized onion to the top of the filo pastry sheets, then the cheese and slices of tomato.
- Season with some salt and black pepper and then place in the oven and bake until cheese is melted and golden.
This recipe is vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Extra Easy – 4 syns and 1 HEa per serving
Green - 4 syns and 1 HEa per serving
Original - 4 syns and 1 HEa per serving
WW smart points - 8 per serving
NOTE: sheets of filo pastry vary in syns, so be sure to double check the syn value of the one you use.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 tart
Amount Per Serving Calories 256Total Fat 9.5gSaturated Fat 5.6gCholesterol 33.6mgSodium 344.1mgCarbohydrates 8.9gFiber 2.6gSugar 1.8gProtein 11.9g