Delicious Bacon, Cheese and Tomato Quiche with a potato base which is perfect for lunches, picnics and more.
I love crustless quiche, but sometimes you just need some sort of crust, so I was determined to try and come up with a base for a quiche that was low synned. This potato based worked perfectly. It was really good and crisped up on the edges, just how you would expect.
Perfect for lunches for the week or taking on picnics etc. Kids love it too, making it a great family friendly recipe.
For quiche base:
- 350g (12.5oz) of potato, peeled and cubed
- 55g (2oz) of plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Spray oil
For quiche filling:
- 500g (17.5oz) of fat free cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 120g (4oz) of cheddar (4xHEa’s)
- 4 slices of lean back bacon or Canadian bacon (any fat removed)
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 large tomato sliced
- cooking oil spray
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 180c/fan 160c/350f or gas mark 4
For the quiche base
- Add potatoes to a saucepan of boiling hot water. Simmer until tender. Drain water, spray with some spray oil, and mash till smooth. Place in a bowl, allow to cool.
- Once potato is cool, add it to a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add the egg yolk, and bind it all together.
- Get a large oven proof dish and grease with some spray oil.
- Add the pastry and flatten down and up the sides, until it is the same thickness all the way round.
- Bake in the oven for approx 20-30mins until it has started to go golden and has firmed up.
For the quiche filling
- Spray a frying pan with cooking oil spray, and add the bacon and onion and cook until golden.
- Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and eggs to a blender or food process and blend until smooth.
- Add the bacon and onion to the pastry case in the dish and pour over the cheese/egg mixture. Top with slices of tomato and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven until the egg mixture is firm and cooked through and the pastry is golden throughout. Approx 30-40 mins.
- Serve with a salad or your choice of sides
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1 HEa and 2.5 syns per serving
- WW Smart Points - 10 per serving
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.I
t is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 serving (quarter of the quiche)
Amount Per Serving Calories 430