Stuck for ideas for Syn Free and Low Syn Snacks? Then check out all these great ideas for helping you to stay on plan.
I’ve had a few people message me asking for some syn free and low syn snack ideas, so I thought it might be useful to type up a post for you all. As let’s face it, we all need yummy syn free snacks to keep us on plan, right? So here are some of my suggestions of what works for me. Feel free to add a comment with any of your suggestions.
Syn Free Snacks
Remember your first choice for snacks should always be speed foods where possible, but where you fancy something else and want to keep on plan, below are some great options. (click on the highlighted words for links to recipes)
- Frozen grapes –these are yummy and because they are frozen will take you longer to eat too. I wash them well, blot dry with some kitchen paper and then pop them in a freezer bag and add to the freezer. I prefer the red seedless variety, as I just find they taste better, but the choice is yours.
- Frozen banana slices – peel a banana, slice into thick slices and add to a freezer bag or tub and place in the freezer till frozen, or peel banana, cut in half and thread each half onto a lolly stick or skewer. Then when you fancy something sweet, you can suck on a few frozen banana slices or banana on stick (it’s like banana ice cream.
- Pomegranate pips – another great syn free snack.
- Fresh fruit salad – you can add literally any fruit you like to this, stick to mostly speed fruits too, to boost your weight loss. You can also top with some yoghurt of your choice.
- Sugar snap peas – these are so addictive, I love them just on their own or dipped in my low syn Roasted Sweet Potato Hummus – (you can also leave out the tahini paste in this for a syn free option)
- Baby carrots – also great dipped in my hummus above
- Edamame Beans – these are my new current favorite. I buy these in big steamer bags from costco throw in the microwave as directed, pop the beans out of the pods and either season with just salt or toss in some coconut aminos or soy sauce. They are sooo good.
- Crispy Oven Baked Kale –another yummy one. Line a baking tray with some parchment paper, break all the thick stalks off the kale, so you just have the kale leaves. Add to a bowl and toss with some coconut aminos or light soy sauce. Spread out on the baking tray, spray over the top with oil and bake in the oven at 180c or 350f till they just start to crisp.
- HEB cheesecake – crumble up a HEb qualifying cereal bar, top with some quark sweetened with your choice of sweetener and a little vanilla or use a syn free yoghurt, then top with fruit for a yummy syn free cheesecake
- Oven roasted ripe plantain – season with paprika and salt, spray will oil and bake in oven at 200c or 400f till golden
- Healthy Extra Crispy Cheddar Pita Chips – these are also great with my mango salsa
- Cheese with Apple – Slice pieces of apple and use them as crackers topped with your healthy extra cheese allowance.
- Syn Free Soup – I have various soup recipes which are great for snacky times in between meals. If you always have a big pot made up, when you feel a little hungry and it isn’t meal time yet, pour yourself a warmed up cup of homemade syn free soup to sip away on.
- Syn free Onion bhaji’s – serve with some mint yoghurt
- Syn free falafel – serve with some cucumber raita (yoghurt mixed with cucumber and lemon juice)
- Slice of syn free quiche – I have various quiche recipes on my blog that you could make and keep in the fridge for times when you need a quick snack.
- Ham or turkey roll ups – fill slices of ham with some thin sticks of veg (cucumber, carrot) and roll up
- Leftover cooked meat – great for a protein snack
- Syn free chips – I can’t think of a time when I have needed something like this for a snack, but it’s nice to know they are there and you can still be on plan, if you do fancy something like that.
- Oats/Weetabix etc – sometimes I like to save my healthy extra’s, so I can treat myself to some oats or similar in the evening. I love my pumpkin oatmeal
- Zucchini and Parmesan Quinoa bites – yummy on their own or dipped into a tomato sauce made with some fresh skinned chopped tomatoes fried in some spray oil till softened with some onion, garlic, a little stock and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Mug of flavoured black tea with milk – sometimes this is so comforting it’s all I need to keep certain cravings at bay. My favorites are from Davids Tea and Teavana. They both some awesome flavoured tea that feel like a treat
- Latte – use flavored coffee and steam some milk from your healthy extra to pour on top
- Boiled Eggs – great source of protein and fat
Of course if you can save your healthy extra’s for later in the day, you then have lots of option freed up for snacks later in the day should you need them. Also check out my Instagram page @slimmingeats if you are not yet following me, as I already have many breakfast ideas on there that do not include your healthy extras.
Low Syn Snack Ideas
I have lots of dessert/sweet things which are all on plan that you can check out below:
- Low Syn Desserts and Cakes – various to choose from here
- Chopped fruit – with some peanut butter or chocolate spread to dip
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal – great with yoghurt and berries
- Gluten Free Soda Bread or Gluten Free Cheddar and Spring Onion Bread
- Pea Guacamole – this is great paired up with my Mango Salsa and my Healthy Extra Crispy Cheddar Pita Chips or Oven baked tostones
- Cheddar and Apple Quinoa bites – these are delicious
- Coconut Quinoa Pudding – just like rice pudding but with quinoa, delicious topped with fruit o your choice
- Low syn ranch dressing – great with various vegetable crudites or my snack recipes
- Eton mess– meringue crumbled up in yoghurt with some fresh fruit
- Low synned Hot Chocolate – top with a little aerosol cream and some marshmallows
- Oven baked tostones – these taste like crispy pieces of batter, great with my Mango Salsa
- Jelly – mix in some fruit (not fresh kiwi or pineapple as it will not set)
- Rice pudding – I have two version a Creamy Vanilla Rice Pudding or Baked White Chocolate Rice Pudding
- Pancakes – a couple of different recipes for you on here, drizzle with maple syrup or fresh fruit. My favorite is my American Style Pancakes
- French Toast – another good one drizzled with maple syrup and fresh fruit
- Popcorn – pop 30g/1oz of unpopped kernels and toss in a little warmed maple syrup and season with salt. It’s a yummy low synned sweet and salty version.
- Frozen Yoghurt – couple of different recipes on here
- Doughnuts – a few different low syn variations for you to choose from
- Granola – these homemade granola recipes are so yummy with fruit and yoghurt
- Yoghurt Parfaits – these feel like such a treat.
- Sweet Freedom Products – these are fabulous and lots of yummy things to make with them
- Fancy Chocolate, Crisps or a Cookie etc? For foods with no free food allowance, I try to choose items around the 100 calorie mark, which will usually work out at 5 syns.
This is just a few ideas to get you going, I will continue to add to this list as I think of more.
Don’t forget you can see all my recipes on my Recipe Index or go straight to the Snack Recipes
Also feel free to comment below with any ideas and click on the social buttons above/below to share with your friends.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.