Beef Zucchini Lasagne is perfect for when you fancy a healthier alternative to a traditional lasagne, using zucchini slices instead of pasta sheets.
Beef Zucchini Low Carb Lasagne
I’ve thrown myself into a full SP week, so decided to put together this lasagne for dinner using Zucchini slices instead of the traditional pasta. It really was delicious, the combination of the rich beef sauce, with grilled zucchini slices and velvety cheese sauce, was amazing. I really didn’t miss the pasta at all in this Beef Zucchini Lasagne
With a bit of creativity it is easy to create delicious meals to help you follow an SP day or too. I actually sometimes enjoy this kind of meal more, because it always feels super healthy and you don't have that carb bloat you sometimes gets.
SP days are perfect for boosting your weight loss. I recommend having lots of variation to stop it from becoming boring and make sure your plate is at least ½ speed foods.
If you struggle with speed foods check out this helpful post I did on The Benefits of Speed Foods, it explains the concept and gives you some ideas on how to incorporate them into your meals.
Did you know I also have some SP Meal Plans right here on Slimming Eats, so if you struggle to come up with meal ideas, you can pick 1 or 2 days here and there from the meal plans are follow a whole week.
LIGHT BECHAMEL SAUCE
When it comes to the yummy white sauce you expect on a delicious lasagne, you will not find eggs, yoghurt or quark in this recipe, mainly because those really do not belong on a lasagne and are not creamy or decadent like you expect with a traditional bechamel sauce.
A yummy healthier bechamel sauce can easily be made using milk, starch and some cheese and seasoning and it tastes just as good without use butter. Best of all it doesn’t add a huge amount of syn either, so why would you ever ruin a lasagne by topping it with quark, eggs or yoghurt – no thanks!!!
SIDES FOR LOW CARB BEEF LASAGNE
Want some help with sides for on an SP day - check out these SP Friendly Sides
Give this Beef Zucchini Lasagne a try and see what you think. Don't forget this is also perfect for freezing, so if you have any leftovers or are serving for less than 4 people, tub up the other portions and add to your freezing for another day.
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 455g (1lb) of extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ tbs of mixed herbs
- 2 cups of canned crushed tomatoes (or can use passata)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste (use 2 if using passata)
- 1 cup of stock
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- salt and black pepper to season
- 3 zucchini, sliced into thin strips, lengthways
- 50g of mozzarella cheese (1 HEa), grated
- 60g of parmesan cheese (2xHEa), grated
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch (1.5 syns) (or use tapioca flour or arrowroot powder)
- 250 ml (1 cup) of 2% milk (1 HEa)
- cooking oil spray
- Fresh Italian parsley, to season
- Add the beef, onion and garlic to a frying pan over a medium heat and fry until browned.
- Add the mixed herbs, passata, tomato paste, stock, balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until sauce thickens. Season as needed. Set aside
- In the meantime spray a grill pan with oil over a medium heat and grill all the zucchini strips on both side. Set those aside on some kitchen paper, just to absorb any water they release.
- Preheat oven to 180c/fan 160c or 200f (gas mark 4)
- Add the milk to a saucepan, mix the tapioca with a little water and stir this into the milk, and gently heat, stirring constantly, as it thickens, season with black pepper and stir in 28g of the Parmesan.
- Using an oven proof dish,add half the beef mixture and then layer with half the zucchini slices. Add the remaining beef mixture, then the remaining zucchini slices.
- Pour on top the white sauce, and spread all over with a spatula.
- Add the mozzarella, and remaining Parmesan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 mins and then finish off under the grill, until nice and golden on top.
- Top with fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Serve with your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1 HEa and 0.5 syns per serving
- Green WW Smart Points - 9 per serving
- Blue WW Smart Points - 9 per serving
- Purple WW Smart Points - 9 per serving
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Box Grater
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid - 28cm - 4.2L - Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 386Total Fat 12.9gSaturated Fat 6.6gCholesterol 92mgSodium 842mgCarbohydrates 28.4gFiber 7.2gSugar 12.9gProtein 40.7g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.