Delicious Tuna Pasta Bake - a perfect meal any day of the week for the whole family, using simple easy ingredients.
This is probably the perfect dinner to make when you fancy a pasta bake. Using basic ingredients we always have on hand in the pantry/cupboard.
Pasta, canned tuna, passata, tomato paste, stock and a few fresh ingredients just to up those speed foods. This really is such a tasty meal that can be on the table in less than an hour.
My kids love this pasta bake, all that yummy cheesy topping using a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella. Because you can never have enough cheese. Plus cheddar just goes perfectly with tuna, ever had a tuna melt? Delicious, right?
Of course, if you only have one type of cheese in the fridge, any will do.
For the fresh vegetables used in this Tuna Pasta Bake, I just added what I had available - onions, cherry tomatoes and a yellow pepper. But really you can use any vegetable in this that would go well with the tomato-based sauce.
The beauty of this Tuna Pasta Bake is keeping it simple by using what you have on hand.
Once all the ingredients were ready to combine and be baked. I use my cute little Staub pan, as it was just the perfect size for this Tuna Pasta Bake.
Plus as it's a cast iron pan it retains the heat really well, keeping the bake nice and warm to serve up in the middle of the table with a mixed salad.
My kids love a dish where they can help themselves, encourages them to eat better too if I serve it this way, rather than dishes it up on a plate for them.
Any oven-proof dish will work fine though, so just use whatever dish you have.
HOW CAN I ADD A ⅓ VEGETABLES TO THIS TUNA PASTA BAKE?
You already have vegetables in the pasta bake, such as onion, garlic, pepper, tomatoes, but I also made up a big mixed salad of baby greens, cucumber, julienned carrot using my julienne peeler and some beetroot).
What kitchen Items do I need to make this Tuna Pasta Bake?
- Shallow Casserole dish or oven proof dish
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Jug
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Frying Pan
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 160g/5.6oz of penne pasta, dry
- 1 x 160g/5.6oz can of tuna (in spring water), drained and flaked into smaller pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 20 grape/cherry tomatoes, halved
- 240ml (1 cup) of passata (or crushed tomatoes)
- 240ml (1 cup)of vegetable or chicken stock
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 25g (0.8oz) of mozzarella cheese
- 30g (1oz) of cheddar
- cooking oil spray
- fresh chopped Italian parsley, to serve
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f (gas mark 4)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium-high heat with cooking oil spray
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until softened.
- Add the tomatoes and yellow pepper and continue to fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the passata, stock, splash of Worcestershire sauce and some fresh chopped parsley.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and allow to lightly bubble until it reduces down and thickens (approx 10 mins).
- While the sauce is reducing, cook the pasta according to package instructions, until al dente. drain and then stir into the sauce along with the tuna.
- Sprinkle on top the cheddar and mozzarella and season with a little salt and black pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 30 mins until cheese on top is melted and lightly golden.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 378Total Fat 6.7gSaturated Fat 3.6gCholesterol 36mgSodium 571mgCarbohydrates 56.4gFiber 3.5gSugar 8.4gProtein 23.9g