Millionaire's Shortbread - these delicious Millionaire's Shortbread squares have all the delicious taste of their regular version, but are slightly lower in sugar and calories.
Caramel Chocolate Shortbread
If you love twix bars, then you will just love these, biscuity crumb base topped with toffee and milk chocolate what more could one ask for.
I've had this idea in my head for a while. The toffee and the chocolate was easy, but coming up with a biscuity base was the test. But I am not one to be defeated and after a few experiments with different mixes, I am really happy with the results of these.
Best Natural Sweetener
To reduce the amount of sugar in these Millionaire's Shortbread I use a naturally derived sweetener call Erythritol. I have tested many different types over the years and this is the closest in taste to normal sugar.
Can I use any granulated sweetener?
I will only use the sweetener as mentioned above, so haven't tested these out with any others, so can't say how well they will turn out or taste.
There are a couple of things to bear in mind when using different types and that is that not all granulated sweeteners are equal. Erythritol is generally used in the same quantity as sugar, other sweeteners you may need to more or less. So I always advise checking the label of the one you use as it will tell you the ratio to sugar and you can therefore adjust correctly.
Can I use low fat margarine?
I use real butter as it is all I buy in my house, we as a family do not like margarine or low fat spreads. For this reason the shortbread has not been tested using a margarine.
You would have to try it yourself if you want to try and reduce the calories a little more.
Can I use light evaporated milk?
Light evaporated milk doesn't yield as good a caramel, so I would definitely stick to the original kind for this to ensure it yields a nice creamy caramel.
Can you freeze evaporated milk?
This gets mixed answers, while you can freeze it, it can seperate onced thawed so is not suitable for some recipes.
If you are wondering what you can do with the remainder, you could make a double or triple batch of the caramel sauce, this is great for drizzle on low calorie icecream or for serving with some sliced apple.
Another way I like to use it, is by adding a little to this Creamy Rice Pudding to make it extra creamy or add a little bit to this Quick Mac and Cheese is delicious too. You can actually add it to anything to add a little bit of creaminess, so things like soups are good too.
Can I use just Sweetener in the Caramel?
I don't recommend using just sweetener in the caramel, it needs some sugar to ensure it caramelizes and the demerara sugar really adds to the flavour.
What size baking tin for Millionaire's Shortbread?
I use an 8inch square brownie pan lined with some parchment paper to baking the shortbread base. You don't really want to use any bigger that this as the shortbread mix won't be enough to cover the base.
Can Millionaire's Shortbread be frozen?
If you are worried about the temptation of eating more than you should, then I recommend freezing these in a container. You can then just take one or two out as you want them and defrost before enjoying. A yummy sweet treat with a cuppa.
More Desserts and Treats
Love treats like this to enjoy with a cuppa? Check out some of these:
- Banana Doughnuts
- Mini Oreo Cheesecakes
- Chocolate Chip Banana Granola Bars
- Banana Chocolate Chip Loaf
- Pumpkin Sultana Muffins
- Raspberry White Chocolate Baked Oats
- Cinnamon Roll Baked Oats
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes and can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
All with estimated calories and Slimming World and Weight Watcher Smart Points values.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
For the shortbread:
- 140g (5oz) of plain flour
- 80g (2.8oz) of softened unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons of granulated sweetener (erythritol)
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the toppings:
- 4 tablespoons of demerara sugar
- 4 tablespoons of brown granulated sweetener
- ¼ cup (60ml) of water
- ¼ cup (60ml) of evaporated milk
- 40g (1.4oz) of milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Cream together the butter and granulated sweetener, then mix in the vanilla extract.
- Mix together the flour and pinch of salt, add this into the creamed butter and sweetener until all combined (the mixture may feel slightly crumbly but this is normal).
- Line a 8 inch square pan with parchment, spray with cooking oil spray to grease.
- Add the cookie mixture to the pan in small pieces and then flatten down as much as possible in an even layer until it covers the entire bottom of the pan
- Bake for approx 12 minutes, until lightly golden, remove and allow to cool.
- Add the demerara sugar and brown granulated sweetener to a small saucepan along with water and stir to dissolve then bring to a boil, once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium to rapidly simmer and allow it to bubble for about 5-6 minutes, you want it to resemble a slightly thickened syrup (it doesn't need be super thick as it will thicken as it cools).
- Once it gets to a thickened syrup, remove from heat and stir in the evaporated milk let it cool slightly. Then pour this on top of the shortbread and tilt the pan in all directions so that it coves the shortbread in an even layer. Allow this to cool
- Add the chocolate to a microwaveable bowl and heat at 10 second intervals until melted.
- Add the chocolate to a ziplock bag (or similar) snip off the corner and then you can drizzle it over the caramel.
- Place in the fridge and allow to completely set before slicing into 16 equal sized squares.
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 4.5 syns per square
- WW Green Smart Points - 4 per square
- WW Blue Smart Points - 4 per square
- WW Purple Smart Points - 4 per square
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided only.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
8 inch brownie pan
100% Natural Erythritol 1 Kg (2.2 lb) Granulated ZERO Calorie Sugar Replacement
Erythritol Gold 500g
TeamFar Saucepan, Professional Stainless Steel Sauce Pan with Lid, Small Milk Pan for Home Kitchen Restaurant Cooking, Easy Clean – 14cm/1L
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1 SQUARE
Amount Per Serving Calories 94Total Fat 5.2gSaturated Fat 3.2gCholesterol 16.1mgSodium 24.8mgCarbohydrates 11.3gFiber 3.2gSugar 1.9gProtein 1.4g