This pilaf is a great side for a variety of main dishes.
I use a less stock to rice ratio here because zucchini has a lot of moisture. If you add too much you get a gloopy mess, it is better to finish off rice with the lid steaming method I mention in instructions, as the result will alway be lovely fluffy rice.
Delicious served with a dish like this Roasted Butternut Squash and Lentil Curry
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – syn free per serving
Green – syn free per serving
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 large zucchini (courgette)
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1.5 cups (360ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- Spray oil
- fresh chopped coriander
- Add the onion to a mini food processor to chop finely
- Spray a large frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil
- Add the onion, garlic, turmeric, cumin seeds and a little salt and fry for approx 5 mins to soften
- Add the zucchini to a mini food processor to chop finely
- Add the zucchini and rice to the frying pan with the onion and mix together.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until stock is almost absorbed
- Turn off heat and set aside for 10 mins or so, but leave covered as the steam will continue to cook the rice.
- Serve with your choice of main. Is great with a variety of meat/fish dishes.
The recipe above has been calculated for Slimming World, however for those of you following the Weight Watchers plan or another calorie controlled type diet. Below is the approx. nutritional information:
Approx. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Click here to come and join the - Slimming Eats Facebook group
where you can ask any questions on recipes, get the links to new recipes as they get posted to the blog, daily meal ideas, support and advice.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for 500+ more recipes for you to browse through.
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.