I introduce you to the Ultimate Syn Free Hash Brown Waffle Pizza – oh how I LOVE thee!!
If you’re like me, then you probably love Pizza. But as everyone knows, a normal Pizza is not exactly Slimming World friendly and will take you well over your daily syns just for a couple of measily slices. Luckily, I have many variations of Pizza recipes to satisfy those cravings – such as:
- Pulled Pork Pizza
- Pizza Fries
- Syn Free Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Sweet Potato Pizza Crust Recipe
- Cauliflower Pizza
- Breakfast Omelette Pizza
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Portobello Mushroom Pizzas
- Pizza Topped Baked Sweet Potato
- Breakfast Hash Brown Pizza
- Roasted Vegetable Feta Pizza
- Syn Free Pizza Toasts
For a change, I thought I’d try something different for the base of the Pizza, because you can never have enough variations of PIZZA, right?
As well as loving Pizza, I also love hash browns. In fact, my Syn Free Golden Hash Browns is one of my most popular recipes and we all know how well Hash Brown’s go with literally anything. So I thought I’d try and combine the two and make a Hash Brown Waffle Pizza.
I recently got a new waffle maker that makes square waffles, originally I had a round one, but found I was limited with certain recipe ideas I had and so when I spotted a waffle maker which also has changeable plates for cooking pancakes, burgers and eggs, I couldn’t resist, it also allows me to change the temperature which means it is really versatile when used for other recipes.
Unfortunately the particular waffle maker isn’t available in the UK , but this one below is very similar and has a temperature adjustment which I think is a must for any waffle maker.
So with the brand new amazing waffle maker I purchased, I had the great idea to make a hash brown waffle for the base of a pizza. Originally I was going to try a Pizza Stuffed Hash Brown Waffles after making this yummy Cheese and Ham Hash Brown Waffle, but most of the cheese disappears when doing that and of course for a pizza it has to be really really cheesy, right?
Instead, I decided on just using the waffle maker to create a Hash Brown base and then add the toppings and finish off in the oven.
Seeing as this particular waffle maker makes square waffles, the resulting pizza would obviously be square too.
A square pizza is known around here as a Detroit-style Pizza. We live pretty close to Detroit and visit quite often, though we don’t often indulge in the pizza, as it’s made with a real thick crunchy base and loaded with cheese and toppings…. Very far off plan!
The base turned out pretty darn amazing – super crispy, which is just how I like a normal pizza base to be.
In this case I topped the pizza with just a basic pizza sauce (if you have time, this Homemade Pizza Sauce is amazing, but no worries if not, I have a quick cheats version on the recipe) and mozzarella cheese, which resulted in a syn free pizza when using your Healthy Extra A allowance.
But you could easily add your own toppings to this Hash Brown Waffle Pizza – like Pepperoni, bacon, ham, pineapple (think of all the amazing variations!!) just don’t forget to syn your toppings if you do.
Don’t forget to check out these other amazing Hash Brown recipes:
- Cheesy Sausage and Egg Hash Brown Casserole
- Hash Brown Breakfast Sandwich
- Ham and Hashbrown Frittata
- Broccoli Cheddar Hash Brown Muffins
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Sweet Potato Hash Brown Breakfast Stacks
- Spiralled Zucchini Quiche
- Carrot, Parsnip and Potato Hash
and put that waffle maker to good use with these delicious Waffle recipes:
Make this AMAZING Hash Brown Waffle Pizza – perfect for a pizza night served with a nice mixed salad of your choice for those speed foods – yum!!
And if you don’t have a waffle maker, fear not. Make one big syn free crispy golden hash brown in the oven and you can then use that for the base. Heaven!!
- 800g of peeled raw floury potatoes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- black pepper
- spray oil
- for the pizza sauce:
- use this Syn Free Homemade Pizza Sauce
- or this quick version:
- 1 cup of crushed tomatoes (or passata)
- 2 tbs of tomato paste
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of onion powder
- 1 tbs of sukrin:1 (or other sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp of oregano
- fresh chopped Italian parsley or basil
- 100g of mozzarella (2x HEa's) - grated or broken into pieces
- Once peeled place the potatoes in a bowl of water to prevent any browning, as once exposed to air, peeled potatoes will brown quickly.
- Grate potatoes, squeezing out any excess moisture and then place into a large bowl with the egg and mix to coat.
- Add the salt, onion powder and a little black pepper and mix again.
- Heat waffle iron and make sure you grease well with spray oil, brushing it all over with a silicone brush to make sure all grooves are well coated, this is important to prevent any sticking.
- Add the potato mixture in spoonfuls until you cover the waffle iron in a even layer and close down the waffle iron, I cooked these on heat temp 5 (but it may vary on different waffle irons). When you close down the waffle iron, push down firmly, so it presses all the potato together.
- Preheat oven to 220c/425f
- After about 6 minutes you can start checking every couple of minutes until it is lovely and crisp and golden all over.
- Carefully remove Hash Brown waffle and transfer to a baking tray.
- Add pizza sauce and spread across the top, sprinkle with mozzarella (and any other toppings if using) and bake for approx 15 minutes until cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Try varying this up with different toppings of choice
Healthy Extra A servings of cheese can vary from the UK to the USA, so adjust accordingly.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 519 Total Fat 13.9g Saturated Fat 7.6g Cholesterol 132mg Sodium 1312mg Carbohydrates 76g Fiber 12.3g Sugar 10.7g Protein 23.6g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.