Cheesy Oven-Baked Pizza Fries – the ultimate sharing traybake for all the pizza lovers out there. Homemade oven-baked fries, delicious pizza sauce and yummy melted cheesy goodness.
Ultimate Pizza Fries
Who needs pizza, when you can have pizza fries?
It’s the weekend and you are craving pizza, and you have already used your healthy extra B choice. So what do you do? Don’t blow your syns and ruin your perfectly good day – make my delicious Pizza fries.
All the great components of any pizza, but using delicious crispy homemade oven-baked fries as your base instead of pizza dough.
The perfect combination for those who love pizza and fries!!
Perfect Potatoes for Homemade Fries (Chips)
So what the best potatoes for fries (chips)? My favorites here in North America are either Russets or Yukon Golds. The latter being my preferred choice because they have a lovely golden yellow colour to the flesh and an amazing buttery flavour.
In the UK a similar variety to Yukon Gold’s would be Elfe Potatoes. Other great choices are Maris Piper or King Edwards.
Certain potatoes I do find need parboiling before baking to really get that lovely golden crisp colour and I tend to do that with Russets, but yukon golds I just soak in cold water for about an hour, fully rinse and pat dry before baking and they are perfect.
How to get the perfect fries shape
I cheat and use handy KitchenCraft Potato Chipper, French Fry Vegetable Cutter/Dicer Machine, it’s so quick and each fry is the perfect shape.
It has two blades, one for a chunkier chip, the other for a fries size, I use the smallest blade for these.
You don’t even need to peel the potatoes if you don’t want to, just pop them in with the skin on if you prefer. It is all good fibre.
My kids prefer skin off though, so when making these for the whole family I peel them to keep everyone happy.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
Gotta love a homemade pizza sauce for you topping and this Homemade Pizza Sauce is just the best. It is perfect for making in advance and freezing as you need it.
If you want to make these pizza fries in a hurry though, a very quick a simple no-cook pizza sauce is just:
- 1.25 cups (300ml) of passata
- 1-2 tbs of tomato paste, depending on how thick you like your sauce
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- pinch of dried basil
- and if you like a sweeter sauce then you can add some sweetener of your choice
Sides for Pizza Fries
Wondering what to serve these pizza fries with? I just go for a simple side salad of
- If you like dressing – this Homemade Ranch Dressing is perfect on the side, or just use your favourite low syn/low point store bought one.
Serve with any salad sides of your choosing though, you don’t need the exact same as me.
Different Toppings for Pizza Fries
As you can see I went for a traditional pepperoni and cheese topping. I probably would have added some black olive if I had some, but realized there was none in my pantry. I also use turkey pepperoni as it’s lower in syns.
Some other great pizza fries topping ideas are:
- MARGHERITA: pizza sauce, topped with chopped fresh basil and mozzarella
- HAWAIIAN: pizza sauce, topped with ham, fresh pineapple and mozzarella
- BBQ CHICKEN: use my bbq sauce for the topping and add cooked chicken, red onion slithers and mozzarella
- PULLED PORK: Leftover stove top pulled pork with sauce, green peppers, red onion and mozzarella
- PEPPERONI: pizza sauce, topped with pepperoni (syns vary), oregano and mozzarella
- GARLIC MUSHROOM: Garlic Mushrooms (as on recipe) topped with mozzarella and fresh chopped parsley
- MEAT FEAST: pizza sauce with low syn sausage, ham, lean bacon, green peppers, onion, olives (syns vary) and mozzarella
- VEGGIE: pizza sauce, mushrooms, tomato slices, onion, grilled zucchini, red onion, corn and mozzarella
- INDIAN STYLE: leftover chicken curry topped with mozzarella and chopped coriander
- GREEK: pizza sauce, roasted veggies and feta
More Pizza Recipe Ideas
Can’t get enough of pizza recipes? Check out all of these:
- PIZZA CHICKEN
- HASH BROWN WAFFLE PIZZA
- BREAKFAST HASH BROWN PIZZA
- PEPPERONI PIZZA EGG BITES
- CAULIFLOWER PIZZA
- PIZZA TOASTS
- PIZZA FRIES
- PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM PIZZA
- BREAKFAST OMELETTE PIZZA
- AIR FRYER PIZZA SWEET POTATO SLICES
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
This recipe was originally created on 24th June 2016 and updated on 15th April 2020
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 1kg of Yukon Gold Potatoes (or similiar variety), peeled and sliced into fries
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- cooking oil spray
- 100g fresh mozzarella, grated or torn into pieces - 2 HEa's
- 60g of cheddar, grated - 2 HEa's
- 13 slices of Turkey Pepperoni (or use regular but adjust syns) - 1.5 syns
- fresh basil or parsley, chopped
For the Pizza Sauce (or see post for quick cheats version)
- 2 cups (480ml) of passata
- 3/4 cup (180ml) of water
- 2 tbs of tomato paste (puree)
- 1 tbs of maple syrup (2 syns) or use sweetener of choice to keep this syn free
- 1 onion, very finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- few basil leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp of onion powder
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to season
- cooking oil spray
- Place fries in a large bowl, cover with water and leave to soak for 1 hour, drain, rinse and then pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 220c, fan 200c, 425f (gas mark 6)
- Add to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, make sure you space them apart otherwise they will just steam and go soggy and spray over the top with cooking all spray.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 40 mins until crisp and golden, remove tray halfway through, rotate all fries on the tray, spray again with cooking oil spray and season with the salt.
- In the meantime, for the pizza sauce, spray a deep frying pan with cooking oil spray,
- Add the onion and fry till caramelized and softened.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further couple of mins.
- Add the passata, water, tomato paste, maple syrup, oregano, basil, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 mins, until sauce reduces down and thickens.
- Once crisp and golden, top with pizza sauce (as much as you prefer), sprinkle over the top with the mozzarella and cheddar
- Add the pepperoni slices and place back in the oven until cheese is melted and lightly golden (approx 10 mins).
- Season over the top with black pepper and sprinkle with fresh basil or parsley.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Season as needed with salt and black pepper. Set aside
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming Eats and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1 HEa and 1 syn per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 12 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 12 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 6 per serving
- Gluten Free - ensure toppings are gluten free
- Vegetarian - omit pepperoni and add vegetarian toppings of your choice.
NOTE: syns in pepperoni can vary, so if using this, check the syns of the one you use. Alternatively, you can use some syn free chopped up ham or vary it up with different toppings of your choice.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Box Grater
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
KitchenCraft Potato Chipper / Vegetable Cutter Machine
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 11.4gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 463mgCarbohydrates: 51.5gFiber: 8.2gSugar: 9.9gProtein: 15.5g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.