I love the portobello mushrooms in these mini meatballs. They stop the meatballs from being dry without the need for breadcrumbs and also add a lovely flavour. If you can’t get orecchiette pasta, you can serve with any pasta of your choice including gluten free.
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – syn free per serving
- 450g/1lb of extra lean ground beef
- 200g/7oz of baby portobello mushrooms (or similar type mushroom)
- salt and black pepper
- spray oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, roughly chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup/120ml of chicken stock
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- pinch of mixed herbs
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 300g of orecchiette pasta (or similar type dried pasta) *can use gluten free
- fresh chopped Italian parsley or basil
- Preheat oven to 180c or 350f (gas mark 6)
- Place the mushrooms in a mini food processor and do a couple of spins of the blade to finely chop the mushrooms (be careful not to over do it, as you do not want the mushrooms pureed, you just want small pieces of mushroom)
- Place in a bowl with the ground beef and season with salt and black pepper.
- Combine it all together and form into mini meatballs.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, spray over the top with spray oil and bake in the oven for 20 mins.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil.
- Add the onion and fry to soften
- Add the garlic and yellow pepper and fry for a further 5 mins.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, mixed herbs and splash of balsamic vinegar, bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer until sauce reduces down and thickens.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil, then add rhe orecchiette pasta and cook until al dente.
- Add the meatballs to the dish, along the orecchiette pasta and gently mix it all together.
- Divide among 4 plates, and sprinkle with some fresh chopped Italian parsley or basil.
- If you have a HEa spare you can add some grated parmesan.
The recipe above has been calculated for Slimming World, however for those of you following the Weight Watchers plan or another calorie controlled type diet. Below is the approx. nutritional information (using calorie count recipe analysis)
Approx. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
You might also be interested in....
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Click here to come and join the - Slimming Eats Facebook group
where you can ask any questions on recipes, get the links to new recipes as they get posted to the blog, daily meal ideas, support and advice.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for 500+ more recipes for you to browse through.
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.