These Turkey Rice Burrito Bowls make a great family meal – sit down and grab a bowl with your favourite toppings.
Back in my university days in Canterbury, we had the best Mexican Restaurant on the high street (no idea if it still exists, was quite a few years ago now – gosh that makes me feel old saying that).
It was one of my favourite places to eat, amazing fajitas, enchiladas or burritos.
I am definitely one of those people who love it when a meal has lots of yummy little components to taste and sample and mix together and Mexican is great for stuff like that. Especially when sharing a meal with friends or family.
So when I made these Turkey Rice Burrito Bowls I wanted to create that same kind of atmosphere for the kids. Making the turkey rice burrito mix all in one pan, and then serving it up in the middle of the table, with various different toppings the kids could choose from for to create their own bowl.
The kids absolutely loved it and were keen to try and bit of all the toppings on offer, such a great way to encourage healthy eating for kids, especially if some are fussy, because they have full control over what they put on their Turkey Rice Burrito Bowl, rather than me choosing for them.
Some of the great topped you could offer are:
- Soured Cream (or use plain fat-free yoghurt with a little lemon juice and a pinch of salt for a syn free choice)
- Grated Cheddar
- Chopped spring onions
- Chopped tomatoes or salsa
- Chopped crisp lettuce
- Avocado or make some of this Pea Guacamole
- Diced red onion
- Baked Tortilla Triangles (use a HEb wholemeal wrap)
- Syn Free Chips (make into rounds instead of chip shape)
- Crispy Cheddar Pitta Chips
and so many other options you could offer in the middle of the table. It’s a great recipe for a party.
Love Mexican Food? Check out some of these other recipes:
- INSTANT POT CHOCOLATE CHILLI
- PINEAPPLE MEXICAN PORK CARNITAS
- TACO SALAD BOWL
- ONE POT BEEF FAJITA PASTA
- MEXICAN RICE
- MEXICAN BURGERS
- FAJITA CHICKEN PASTA
- SPICY MEXICAN CHICKEN LASAGNE
- PASTA CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
- SPICY MEXICAN CHICKEN AND RICE
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc.
How can I add a 1/3 speed foods to this Turkey Rice Burrito Bowl?
There are already speed foods in the actual recipe, such as onion and peppers, but choose sides to increase those speed foods even further.
Below you can see I went for tomatoes, shredded lettuce, red onion, cucumber, spring onion and coriander for a delicious filling meal.
Kitchen Items used in this Turkey Rice Burrito Bowl:
- Kitchen Scales
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Jug
- Santoku Knife
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Frying Pan
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 1 cup/180g of long grain rice
- 450g/1lb of extra lean ground turkey or can use beef or a meat alternative
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup/240ml of crushed tomatoes (or use passata
- 3 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 cup/240ml of chicken stock
- 1 tbs of brown sugar (3 syns) or use sweetener to make syn free
- 1 tbs of cumin powder
- 2 tsp of chilli powder
- 2 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne (or add more if you like really spicy)
- 1 cup (240ml) of black beans (canned)
- 1 cup (240ml) of sweet corn (canned)
- salt and black pepper
- chopped spring onions
- Add the rice to a saucepan, add 2 cups/480ml of water, season with salt and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until liquid is almost absorbed, turn off heat, add lid and set aside (steam trapped under lid will cook the rice perfectly).
- Add the ground turkey, onion, crushed garlic, peppers to a deep frying pan over a medium high heat and cook until browned.
- Add the jalapeno, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, brown sugar and all the spices and mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add in black beans and sweetcorn and simmer covered for 20mins. (Check half way through, just to ensure sauce is not reducing too fast, just add a little more stock if needed)
- Remove lid, then stir in cooked rice, till all combined.
- Season as need with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle with some fresh chopped spring onions
- Spoon into bowls and add your choice of toppings.
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 0.5 syns per serving (without toppings)
- Green/Vegetarian - 0.5 syns per serving (without toppings)(use a meat free alternative) <
- WW Blue/Purple Smart Points - 4
- Dairy Free - omit any dairy choices as toppings
*Suitable for freezing
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 (turkey burrito rice only)
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 260 Total Fat: 3.4g Saturated Fat: 0.8g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 477mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 6.4g Protein: 21.6g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.