Love Tacos? Dig into this ultimate Low Syn Taco Salad Bowl – seasoned ground beef, with lettuce, corn, black beans, avocado, roasted sweet potato, cheddar and tomatoes all tossed in an amazing creamy soured cream Taco Dressing.
Salads like this Low Syn Taco Salad Bowl are my favourite – ones that I make at home, where I can control the ingredients and syns while still keeping it delicious. Rarely do I order a salad when out and about, as usually the dressing they give you is high in syns, or the salad just doesn’t do it for me. It has to have the right mixture of different things in my opinion.
Over the weekend we had a day out and I was stuck for choice on lunch in the area we were in. Subway was about the only convenient place to choose from, so I opted for one of their salads, knowing I could choose what goes on it. Sorry Subway, but your salad just did not do it for me. Very limited choice of what to pick to go into it, tiny bit of protein that tasted of nothing, far too much lettuce and I ended up leaving half of it. I’ve had one of their sandwiches in the past (pre-Slimming World days), and those were always pretty good, but the salad was Meh!!! I won’t be hurrying to have one again.
It can be tough sometimes eating out when you are trying to be healthy and stick to plan. If I am well prepared I can check the area we are going first, or bring something with me. But the latter wasn’t possible yesterday and I didn’t get a chance to look what was around where we were going.
I was so hungry on the way home that I ended up grabbing a sushi tray from Trader Joes which I had for my dinner. Now, some of their sushi trays are amazing, and they all having the nutritional information on the box, so you can usually easily work out the syns using the syn calculator.
Trader Joes is one of my fav places to shop when we pop over to the US (I live close to the US border), I am not talking about jetting on a plane for a few hours lol. They don’t sell lots of different branded items, it is mostly all their own stuff, which I actually love and they do some amazing low syn foods. (I’ll be creating a list soon for those reading who live in the USA).
Traditionally Taco Salads are usually served with a Catalina dressing (which is a sweet and tangy dressing made using tomato ketchup, sugar, vinegar, paprika etc), but I prefer my Taco Style Soured Cream dressing whenever I make this Low Syn Taco Salad Bowl. Plus you could easily use fat-free plain yoghurt instead of the soured cream to keep the dressing syn free.
You won’t usually see a sweet potato in a Taco Salad, but I love roasted sweet potato and it’s a great addition to this Low Syn Taco Salad Bowl. If you want to increase the speed foods in this recipe, you could also swap out the sweet potato for butternut squash.
The avocado part is totally up to you, I know how some of you love your syn free meals, so if you want to keep the syns low, then, by all means, leave it out. But avocado is super healthy and lovely and creamy, plus the syns are not quite as bad as you might think. Check out my post – Avocado and Slimming World.
What Swaps can I make to this Low Syn Taco Salad Bowl?
- Syn Free: omit the avocado, and use fat-free plain yoghurt instead of soured cream
- Vegetarian: use a meat-free replacement for the ground beef.
- Extras: add some brown/white rice, or swap the sweet potato for syn free chips.
- SP friendly: swap out the sweet potato for butternut squash and omit corn. Use the soured cream for the dressing.
- Alternatives: swap the beef for extra lean ground chicken or turkey.
TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS LOW SYN TACO SALAD BOWL YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING KITCHEN ITEMS:
- Non Stick Frying Pan
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Jug
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Tray
- Parchment Paper
All tossed together and ready to dig in and enjoy – a perfect low syn taco salad bowl – yummy!!!
Got some taco beef leftover? This is another great way to serve it – crisp lettuce, brown rice, taco beef, tomatoes, soured cream, cilantro and little cheddar from your Healthy Extra A. When reheating the taco beef, I recommend doing it in a frying pan and adding a little bit of stock, otherwise it will become too dry.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
Low Syn Taco Salad Bowl | Slimming World
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy: 1 HEa and 5.5 syns (or 3.5 if using plain fat free yoghurt)
- WW Smart Points: 9 (use fat free plain yoghurt and swap sweet potato for butternut squash)
- 455g/1lb of extra lean ground beef
- 1 small iceberg or romaine lettuce, chopped
- 16 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 450g of sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- cooking oil spray
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 can of sweet corn, drained
- 4x30g/1oz of cheddar, grated (4xHEa's)
- 1 cup (240ml) of low fat soured cream (8 syns) (or use fat-free plain yoghurt to keep the dressing syn free)
- 40g/1.5oz of chopped avocado (13 syns)
- little juice of a lime
- sea salt
for the taco seasoning:
- 1 tbs of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1-2 tsp of sweetener
- 1tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- tiny pinch of cayenne
- pinch of smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- Reserve a 1/3 of the taco seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f, add sweet potato to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Season with salt and spray with cooking oil spray. Place in the oven and roast until softened and lightly golden (approx 30 mins).
- Spray a frying pan over a medium-high heat with cooking oil spray, add the ground beef and 2/3 of the taco seasoning. Fry until browned and cooked through.
- Add the soured-cream (or fat-free plain yoghurt if you are using that instead) to a bowl with the reserved 1/3 of taco seasoning and a little juice of a lime. Stir to combine fully. Taste to test and add a little more salt if needed.
- In 4 bowls add lettuce, sweet corn, black beans, cheddar, tomatoes, sweet potato, avocado and spring onion.
- Serve with the dressing.
See recipe post for alternatives/swaps
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 8.7 g
Total Carbohydrates 63.7 g
Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
Sugars 15.7 g
Protein 45.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Click here to come and join the - Slimming Eats Facebook group
where you can ask any questions on recipes, get the links to new recipes as they get posted to the blog, daily meal ideas, support and advice.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for 500+ more recipes for you to browse through.
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.