Golden Parmesan Crusted Chicken – tender chicken cutlets coated in parmesan, breadcrumbs, seasoning, and pan-fried until perfectly golden.
Coated Chicken Cutlets
Have I mentioned how much my kids loved coated chicken pieces? Tenders, nuggets, KFC style feast, even pizza chicken (okay the chicken is not really coated in that one, but it’s topped with a yummy pizza sauce and melted cheese.
I think most kids love stuff like that and it is so easy to make it with fresh ingredients, rather than dumping the contents of a box or bag on a tray and slinging it into the oven.
My kids also love anything cheesy, and when certain cheeses are melted, they become perfectly golden and are a whole other league. So it just seemed like a perfect addition to the coating for these Chicken Cutlets along with breadcrumbs and seasoning.
How to Slice a Chicken Breast into Cutlets
It’s really easy to slice a Chicken breast into cutlets, just place your chicken breast on a chopping board and then use a large sharp knife (I use my santoku knife) to slice horizontally so you have two thin equal sized cutlets. You can place you hand on the top of the breast to stop it from moving and to keep it in place.
Check out this handy post by Rachel Ray with step by step on How to slice a Chicken Breast into Cutlets.
Tender Chicken Breasts
Ever cooked chicken breast only for it to be a bit dry and tasteless? A really great trick is to marinade or brine the chicken. In Chinese cooking they use a technique called velveting to keep meat nice and tender. Ever notice the meat is never tough or over chewy when you order a Chinese? That’s probably why.
For fried chicken – the chicken pieces are usually soaked in a buttermilk mixture, this really tenderises the chicken pieces without toughening up the meat. It’s a process I use in my Oven Baked KFC Style Feast (Not tried that one yet?, you really must).
But you don’t even need to use buttermilk. Another great ingredient is some plain yoghurt and a little lemon juice for the acidity, which is exactly what we use in this recipe. You seriously don’t want to miss that step, as not only will it tenderizing the chicken, it also helps your coated to stick to the chicken cutlets after you dip in the egg mixture.
Breadcrumb Coating for Chicken
For the breadcrumb coated I just use Italian style breadcrumbs which usually come in a tub, they are a perfect coating for the chicken along with the parmesan and you don’t need much which means it’s not too much calories added to the dish.
If you want to make your own with some wholemeal bread to make this even more healthier, then by all means you can and then you can coat it as part of your Healthy Extra B if following Slimming World. My kids just prefer the final result with the Italian breadcrumbs, so that’s what I used.
While I don’t use panko (Japanese style breadcrumbs) in this recipe. I am sure they will work if that’s what you want to use.
Sides for Golden Parmesan Crusted Chicken
These would be a great with a variety of different sides such as:
I just went for a simple side salad of
- Baby Greens
- Home Grown Cherry Tomatoes (we have had so many this year)
and then my own choice of light dressing (poppyseed is my favorite) but this Ranch Dressing is delicious also.
More Chicken Recipes
Would you like some other chicken recipes to try? Check out some of these:
- SWEET AND STICKY CHICKEN
- SPICY CHICKEN STUFFED WITH FETA CHEESE AND SALSA
- TOMATO AND MOZZARELLA HASSELBACK CHICKEN
- FAJITA CHICKEN PASTA
- ASIAN SPRITE CHICKEN
- EASY PEANUT CHICKEN NOODLES
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need extra Support? Come check out my amazing Facebook Support Group
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 2 Chicken Breasts (approx 550g/), Sliced into 4 thin cutlets (see post for how to slice Chicken Breast into cutlets)
- 1/2 cup of fat free plain yoghurt
- juice of half a lemon
- 60g of breadcrumbs (I used Italian)
- 120g of Parmesan, grated or shaved
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- pinch of black pepper and sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Cooking oil spray (I used avocado)
- Whisk together the yoghurt and lemon juice, until combined.
- Add to a ziplock bag with the chicken cutlets and seal. Ensure the cutlets are fully coated in the chicken and marinate overnight In the fridge.
- When read to cook, carefully remove cutlets from bag and yoghurt mix, shaking off any excess yoghurt coating as you do.
- Add the parmesan to a mini food processor and pulse until fine (you can finely grate if you don't have one, it's just coats the chicken better if you pulse in a food processor). Mix with the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, parsley and pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the parmesan breadcrumb mixture to a plate or dish.
- Dip cutlets in the beaten eggs and then into the parmesan breadcrumb mix, patting the mixture on the chicken cutlets as you do. Transfer to a plate or tray.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over a medium high heat, spray with cooking oil spray and add the chicken cutlets (you may need to do this in two batches if your pan is not big enough).
- Fry for approx 4 minutes until the underside is lovely and golden, spray over the top with a little more cooking oil spray, flip and cook the other side for another 4 minutes, again until golden and the chicken is cooked through
- Serve with your choice of sides and enjoy!!!
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1 HEa and 3 syns per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 9 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 6 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 6 per serving
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales – As Seen on TV, Stylish Slim Design Electronic Cooking Scale for Home + Kitchen, Weigh Food 5000g + Liquids in ml and fl. Oz. – Black
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
Le Creuset Toughened Non-Stick Shallow Frying Pan, 26 cm
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377Total Fat: 14.1gSaturated Fat: 7.9gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 963mgCarbohydrates: 12.8gFiber: 0.8gSugar: 2.4gProtein: 47g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.