This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – syn free per serving
Green/Vegetarian – syn free per serving (omit chicken)
- 1 medium sized butternut squash
- 4 chicken thighs, sliced into small pieces.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 courgette, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- ½ cup (120ml)of TruRoots sprouted rice and quinoa blend (or if you can’t get similar to this you can use a long grain rice, but reduce stock ratio accordingly)
- 1.5 cups (360ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil spray
- some of the flesh of the butternut squash
- fresh coriander
- Preheat oven to 180c or 350f (gas mark 4)
- Carefully slice the butternut squash in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Then spoon away some of the flesh, to make a hollow like dip in the squash lengths.
- Roughly chop the pieces of squash that you scooped away.
- Season the squash halves with some salt and black pepper, spray with olive oil spray and place flesh side down on a baking tray and bake in the oven until the butternut squash start to feel slightly soft to the touch. Remove from oven and set aside
- In the meantime, spray a large frying pan or skillet with some olive oil spray, add the chicken thigh and fry until lightly golden, remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until softened. Add the courgette, red pepper and chopped up pieces of squash and fry for a further few minutes.
- Stir in the rice, tomato paste, spices and a little salt and black pepper and mix to evenly coat.
- Add the stock, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until stock has reduced down and rice is cooked.
- Spoon mixture into the squash halves and then return to the oven and bake for about 20 mins.
- Serve topped with chopped coriander and enjoy.
- If you have a HEa spare, you could top with some melting cheese.
The recipe above has been calculated for Slimming World, however for those of you following the Weight Watchers plan or another calorie controlled type diet. Below is the approx nutritional information:
Approx NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Click here to come and join the - Slimming Eats Facebook group
where you can ask any questions on recipes, get the links to new recipes as they get posted to the blog, daily meal ideas, support and advice.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for 500+ more recipes for you to browse through.
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.